The meeting rooms of the Jefferson County Libraries are available for library sponsored programs and for use by governments and agencies that provide financial support for the Library. Priority for use will be given to these entities. As a service to the community, meetings rooms may be used by non-profit or not-for-profit organizations for activities of a civic, cultural, or educational nature. Use of the meeting rooms by a group does not constitute Library endorsement of the group’s policies or beliefs. The Library reserves the right to preempt a reservation, with notification, if the room is needed for a library/library sponsored event.
Guidelines for Reservations
Reservations for the meeting room must be made in person at the library. An “Application for Meeting Room Use” must be completed in full and signed by an adult, age 21 and older, who is responsible for the meeting. A usage fee of $25.00 must be paid at the time of application. When a room is to be used by organizations with attendance by minors no one will be admitted until the adult in charge has arrived. The adult(s) must be in attendance at all times.
Signing the application indicates responsibility for conforming to the conditions on the form and to accepting financial responsibility for any damages to Library property. The usage fee will not be applied to any charges for damages.
- All activities must be free of charge and open to the public. No one may be excluded.
- Meeting rooms may not be used by individuals or groups for social events and private parties.
- Regular meetings or bookings will not be allowed.
- Admission fees cannot be charged nor can commercial sales or auctions be held with the exception of :
- Library sponsored fund raising events, book sales, or other event in which proceeds directly benefit the Library.
- Dues collected within a non-profit group.
- Fees for speakers or materials used in a program. Failure to pay such costs or dues should not keep anyone from attending to listen and observe.
- Use of the meeting room must not interfere or conflict with Library services or operation.
- All Library rules of conduct will apply to meetings held in Library buildings.
- The serving of food and drinks in the Library meeting rooms is limited to light refreshments which require no preparation in the Libraries.
- Smoking and other tobacco use, alcoholic beverages, and illegal drugs are strictly prohibited in the Library buildings and on Library property.
- Reservation applications must be made prior to an event, but not more than 90 days in advance.
- The Library System and its telephone number cannot be used as the contact point for any organization.
- All publicity for programs should use the correct name of the Library and must clearly indicate that the Library is not sponsoring the event.
- Meetings must begin and end within Library hours unless the person responsible for the meeting makes special arrangements to get a key to the meeting room, secures the building as per posted procedures, and returns the key as instructed. Groups are asked to inform the person in charge of the Library of the number of persons who attended each meeting.
- Library staff will not set up the meeting room or assist in handling exhibits or other materials needed by groups using the meeting rooms.
- Any group using Library facilities will be expected to leave the room in a clean and orderly condition. A checklist will be provided.
- Users shall pay the cost for repair of any damages to Library property. The Library will not be responsible for materials or equipment left in the building by users.
Failure to abide by the Jefferson County Library System Meeting Room Policy may result in denying the use of the space to that individual or group.
Approved by the Jefferson County Library Board of Trustees January 24, 2011
Amended June 18, 2012, effective July 1,2012